I will give you peace

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:6,7]

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Overcoming a Grief Burst

I have been told by others who have been there before, that grief never really ends, it just changes over time. At the time, I could wrap my mind around that concept, but did not fully appreciate it. I know in time I will come to a greater understanding of it as my heart continues to wrap itself around the journey that I am taking. The acute pain of my loss has dissipated during the past 3 months since Nicholas died. If you had asked me how I was doing 2 days ago, my response would have been something like this: I am doing pretty well. There isn't a day that doesn't go by that I don't think of Nicholas. My thoughts of him and his death bring me sadness and often I shed a tear. I cherish happy memories of him. I miss him and I am reminded of this every day that I wake. That will probably never change, but I am able to find much joy in my life, and gratitude for all my blessings in spite of...

That was something I would have said to you 2 days ago, in a composed manner befitting of someone who is coping rather well. However, yesterday I was blindsided, if you will, by my grief. I am thus reminded of what others who have experienced the death of a close loved one have said to me during the past 3 months about being ambushed by grief by an insignificant trigger. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I am feeling deep sadness and pain just as intense as it was when Nicholas died and I feel powerless at the moment to stop it. Dr. Alan Wolfelt refers to this as a Grief Burst. At the time, I have to say, I was a bit offended by the well meaning, but nevertheless, unsolicited information that given to me by others who have faced the death of a very close loved one. At the time I remembered thinking that there must be a perfectly good reason why so many seemed to share this information with me and I chose not to dismiss it, and instead tucked it away. I now find myself grateful for the warning as I cope with the emotions before me.

I am now trying to work through these raw and powerful emotions. It took me the better part of 6 weeks to work through them the first time. My father had the misfortune of experiencing a Grief Burst last week and my heart ached for him. Fortunately when I spoke with him a few days later her assured me he was doing much better. I have my trust in God and will seek and attempt to live his will through The Holy Spirit's continued guidance. For now, this is what I must endure with obedience to Him and trust in his will for me. I am still eternally grateful for all of my blessings in life and all that is good in this world. God is so good! This I know.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"

~ Christ on the Mount

1 comment:

  1. I know ... grief is so unpredictable sometimes. It's like an uninvited guest that shows up at the most inconvenient times possible. But I am glad that you are working through these difficult emotions. Grief is hard work! All I know to say is that tears bring healing, so let 'em flow ... I am trying to remember to give myself grace to do this as well.

    ReplyDelete