I will give you peace

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:6,7]

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Gone From My Sight

I am standing on the seashore,
A ship sails and spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean.
She is an object of beauty
and I stand watching her
till at last she fades on the horizon,
and someone at my side says "she is gone."
Gone where?
Gone from my sight that is all.
She is just as large in the masts, hull and spurs,
as she was when I saw her,
and just as able to bear her load of living freight
to its destination.
The diminished size, the total loss of sight is
in me not in her, and just at the moment
when someone at my side says "She is gone"
There are others who are watching her coming,
and other voices take up the glad shout.
" here she comes."
And that is dying

Henry Van Dyke


This is a beautiful poem written by Henry Van Dyke who was an early American writer, poet, and clergy man. Over the years it has been shared by our family and friends during various memorial services for dear loved ones now departed. My mom requested that it be shared during Nicholas' Requiem Service and was delivered with grace by my dear aunt, Adelita.

No comments:

Post a Comment